We had a surplus of strawberries, to prevent them from going to waste, I decided to make a delicious dessert that was both filling and nutritious, so I decided to make oatmeal squares, with a strawberry twist.
Strawberries are “an excellent source of vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B9, and potassium. They are very rich in antioxidants and contain a healthy serving of fiber”. The benefits of oatmeal have been proven, it is a whole grain that is gluten-free and a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
This recipe is a quick and easy dessert, that is modifiable. You can add whatever berries, nuts, or dried fruit you like. This recipe was adapted from wellplated [See complete recipe below].
If you are using store-bought strawberries, you can skip this step. If not, gather, clean, and wash your strawberries. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Cut Strawberries into the quarters, cubes, or any shape you desire. Line and grease an 8×8 inch pan or baking dish. Ensure that the paper overhangs for easy removal
Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger, salt, and melted butter.
Stir mixture until the it forms clumps and the dry ingredients are moistened.
Separate oat mixture into two equal parts. Press half the mixture into an even layer into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Evenly scatter half the strawberries over the crust. Sprinkle the cornstarch, lemon juice, and ½ tablespoon of the granulated sugar. Scatter the remaining strawberries and the remaining ½ tablespoon of granulated sugar.
Evenly scatter the remaining oatmeal mixture over the top. Gently press the mixture onto the strawberries, there will be some berries peeking through
Bake the squares for 35 to 40 minutes, until the fruit and the crumb topping smells toasty and look golden.
Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool. Once cool, remove from the pan, slice, serve and enjoy
Strawberry Oatmeal Square
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups small-diced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper so that the paper overhangs two sides like handles.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger, and salt. Pour in the melted butter and stir until it forms clumps and the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Set aside 1/2 cup of the crumble mixture, then press the rest into an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Scatter half of the strawberries over the crust. Sprinkle the cornstarch evenly over the top, then sprinkle on the lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon of the granulated sugar. Scatter on the remaining berries, then the remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top. You will have some fruit showing through.
- Bake the bars for 35 to 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the crumb topping smells toasty and looks golden. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely (you can speed this process along in the refrigerator).
NutritionPer Serving: 100 calories; 5 g fat; 50.6 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein;
Strawberry Oatmeal Bars