I had a sweet tooth over the weekend and there was nothing sweet in the house (I got rid of all the temptations) so I made a delicious snack that takes a couple minutes to put together. I raided my cupboard and found that I only had popcorn, so I made caramel popcorn.
Prepare the Caramel Sauce. Here is the recipe:
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon light-colored corn syrup (optional)
1/2 cup whipping or heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (optional)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- In a medium to large saucepan, add the sugar, water, corn syrup and bring to a boil over high heat, whisking until the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to boil for 5 to 12 minutes until it turns caramel colored. Keep a watchful eye as sugar boils quickly and can easily burn. Stir when necessary to prevent a built of crystallized sugar on the corners of the pan.
- As soon as the sauce has turned caramel-colored, reduce the heat to low.
- Carefully and slowly, add the cream. Be careful, the mixture will bubble.
- Carefully add the vanilla and salt to taste.
- Whisk until sauce is smooth and combined; allow it to boil for another minute, to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Transfer sauce to glass jar or heat-safe. Allow sauce to cool uncovered to room temperature; sauce thickens considerably as it cools. If the sauce gets too thick, add warm water and mix thoroughly to thin it out.
- Sauce will keep airtight at room temp for about one month.
Pop the corn. I use Goya Yellow Popcorn. You can use any popcorn you like or any plain microwave popcorn.
Add Caramel Sauce to popcorn.
Combine Popcorn with caramel sauce
2 responses to “Homemade Caramel Popcorn”
Love caramel popcorn!
Ikr! Its the perfect snack
LikeLiked by 1 person