I love to bake, however, since becoming a mummy, I hardly find the time. As you can imagine, young children obliterate the idea of me-time, spare time, alone time (basically anytime you are not with them. I love being a mom; however, it is very demanding!). Something about baking that just calms me, so whenever I get to bake, I relish the moment.
I was contemplating what I could make that took less than thirty minutes with the ingredients I had in my pantry, so I decided to do a banana cake.
Banana Cake or Banana bread was invented in the 1930s during the great depression. It was borne from the need of women to make extra cash, so they ‘tun dem han to mek fashion’.
This recipe is very simple and fool-proof; you don’t have to be a skilled baker to try it. I would encourage anyone new to baking, to start with simple recipes such as this.
This recipe was adapted from joy of baking. I modified the recipe slightly to include more bananas and more butter. The result is a soft, moist, decadent cake. (see the complete recipe below)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter a 9-inch (23 cm) round baking pan.
The recipe called for sour cream, but I had none at home. A good substitute for sour cream is buttermilk and I had none of that too, so I made own. To make buttermilk, all you need is milk and white vinegar. Mix 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon vinegar together, allow the mixture to rest for a couple minutes, and voila…buttermilk!
Combine buttermilk, bananas and vanilla extract together just until blended.
Combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon in a bowl using a mixer. To that, add the softened butter along with half of the banana mixture, beating on low speed just until the wet ingredients are moistened. Increase the mixer speed and bet batter for 1½ minutes. Add the remaining banana mixture.
Pour the batter into a prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake, comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow to cool (or not! 😊 )
Delicious easy to make banana cake that satisfies your banana craving
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) brown sugar
- 2 cups (230 grams) all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter and flour, or spray with a non stick vegetable/flour spray, a 9 inch (23 cm) round cake pan.
- In the bowl of your food processor, place the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Process just until blended and smooth. Add the eggs and process until combined.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, (or with an electric hand mixer) combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Add the softened butter, along with half the banana mixture, and beat on low speed just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase the mixer speed to medium (on high if using a hand mixer) and beat the batter for 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the remaining banana mixture in two additions, beating well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top, and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before removing the cake from the pan.